Willy von Beckerath
* September 28, 1868 in Krefeld, † May 10, 1938 in Irschenhausen, was a painter.
Father: Rudolf Leonhard von Beckerath, (05.12.1833 – 10.04.1888)
Mother: Laura von Beckerath, born Deus, (12.01.1849 – 13.02.1921)
Willy von Beckerath studied in Dusseldorf and Munich from 1886 to 1899. There he became acquainted with the painters Alexej von Jawlensky and Rudolph Czapek.
In 1902 he founded the Munich workshops for arts of handicraft together with Karl Bertsch and Adelbert Niemeyer. In 1907 the enterprise merged with the Dresden workshops for arts of handicraft that belonged to the furniture manufacturer Karl Schmidt-Hellerau. The enterprise resulting from this merger was named German workshops for arts of handicraft Hellerau. Very early the motivation staff was considered. For this reason the first german suburban garden colony was established, situated at the northern outskirts of Dresden near Dresden-Kltzsche. There modern conditions of living were offered to the staff members that were unusual at that time. Moreover the colony was situated quite near to the working places.
From 1907 to 1930 Willy von Beckerath was professor for monumental painting at the educational school for arts and crafts of the trade museum in Hamborg.
Beside portraits, above all the famous paintings of Brahms and Reger, Willy painted landscapes, glas and wall paintings and worked also with small sculptures. His master piece is the wall cycle “The eternal wave” which consists of 8 paintings and which was created between 1912 and 1918.
Willy married Luise (Lulu) von Beckerath born Schultz (01.07.1872 – 03.12.1958) on October 14, 1899. He was closely related to the painter Moritz von Beckerath. His sons are the organ manufacturer Rudolf von Beckerath and the cellist Hermann von Beckerath.
Here a selection of some of his famous paintings and drawings: